Sunday, September 21, 2008

Opposites!

The European Space Agencies online publication on March 5, 2008 reported that "The new observations show that, despite the differences in size and distance from the Sun, Mars and Venus are surprisingly similar." I am curious what the author of the book, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" would think of that statement.

John and I made the trip to Boston to see UCF play Boston College and to have a romantic weekend away.

Today, as John and I prepared for a day in Boston, I would have thought that Mars and Venus weren't nearly far enough apart or could ever be different enough to encompass the differences between us. Yes, I married my polar opposite in so many ways and it was very evident today. I had the thought to go ride one of the trolley excursions with scripted guides. I didn't want to miss out on any of the things you are "supposed to do" while in Boston. John however wasn't too concerned about what one is "supposed to do" and wanted to take the car and make our own tour. If you know us very well, doesn't that sum us up? Me overly concerned about the appropriate-ness of EVERYTHING and John out to experience everything to the FULLEST that God would allow. How did the two of us ever get together?

Well we did end up having a GREAT day...at least after arguing in the Harvard Square. How many people can say they took part in a debate at Harvard? We wandered through Harvard's Campus and touched the toe of the statue of the guy HArvard was named after. Not sure why we touched the toe but everyone else was doing it and that spot on the statue was rubbed shiny. We ate lunch in an Irish Pub and then headed into downtown.


We ended up spending quite a bit of time in Boston Common. We road the Swan boats there. If you have read E.B.White's "Trumpet of the Swan" this is a part of that book. That was a part of our curriculum when I taught second grade. It was the last day of the year that the boats ran and they actually locked our boat up for the season when we got off of it. We saw the "Make Way for the Ducklings" sculpture there too. (Another children's book.)
We walked around town for awhile and then drove over to Fenway Park. John was in awe. We found a little bar that actually was inside the park and you could stand down at field level. I think he will HAVE to come back someday and experience a game there now.


Well, we didn't see all the historical things that you SHOULD see when you are here. We did see some of that. But we did see things that mean something to us and had a great time today.
It is kind of like our life, I suppose. We have NEVER done things how everyone else has done it. When other young couples were settling into buying houses and having babies, John was finishing school and then stepping into youth ministry. After we finally bought our house and started having our babies, then we stepped out into a faith based ministry. We have experienced some amazing things in life by walking the path less traveled. But somehow I still keep trying to pull us back there. I am sure glad I married this man...this man that pulls me out of the box. I would have had a pretty boring life, I think, if I hadn't. I guess opposites can enjoy life together.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous day! We have grass from Fenway Park. Don't ask. It's moved with us to 4 different houses. Every time we move, Cary digs it up and transplants it. Men!

    I have to say, I think it's funny that your husband used a football game as an excuse for a "romantic getaway". Don't get me wrong, football would DEFINITELY be a part of MY romantic getaway, but I'm not really a normal Venutian/Venetian, however you spell that thing from Venus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry We didn't get to hook up But it looks like you guys got a great overview of Boston for your first time!! Funny I think we were arguing in the north end right about the same time!!! :) Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat get-away! I love the pictures of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun! glad you got some time away together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! Looks like you had a wonderful trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was a great trip...well, outside of the fact that we stood among the hallowed halls of one of the finest institutions of higher learning there is and had a major communication issue...and in spite of the fact that bostonians do not employ the use of what i would refer to as "lanes" of traffic...oh yeah, and ucf got their butts handed to them, but other than that, it was great!

    ReplyDelete