Sunday, September 28, 2008

Falling!

Fall....in Florida that means it is somewhere in the mid-80's. At least in our backyard we have lots of shade so it is really nice. In El Paso...John says it was in the 60's on Friday.

Friday we played outside all afternoon. It was so relaxing. The kids really had fun until we had to scurry and clean everything up when the lawn guys got here. But praise God they bless us with free lawn care! They can come whenever they need to.

Spunky sat in my lap and told me Saturday morning that she wanted me to go away and stay in a hotel and Dad could come back. She said she didn't like me anymore. We talked for a little while and she did admit to loving me and said that I didn't have to leave. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she wanted pancakes for breakfast and I just wasn't up for that right then. So I figured I should try and make things a little fun. So it ended up being "backwards day" for us, as Lady declared. I told them we could have pancakes for dinner and that led to having dinner for breakfast. Yes, we ate cheese pizza bagel bites for breakfast and had chocolate chip cookies for dessert. The kids thought it was fun. I did slide back into my slave driver role and we worked awhile on cleaning up around the house before lunch and then napped. After that we hung outside playing with the neighbor boys...one of my kids' favorite things to do on the planet.
I found some Black Widow spider sacks and the mommy spider. ICK!!! They were hiding on the bottom side of Dynamo's little plastic basketball hoop. I decided to be a big girl and take care of them. UGH! I am okay with killing bugs typically but Black Widow spiders FREAK me out. Anyway, I sprayed them with wasp killer spray and smushed the mommy with a stick. Then after texting John for some wisdom on what to do for the egg sacks I used the stick to plop them in a ziplock bag and put them in the trash. Now the dump can deal with them. I should probably do some research on destroying them. I have the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. I should probably save that research for sometime other than when I actually want to be asleep.

We went for a walk around the block and stopped to chat with some other neighbors. While we were chatting, Dynamo was pushing Dimples around and around and around in the stroller on the asphalt road. And I am sure you can see where this is going...one turn a bit too sharp and the stroller some how ended on top of Dimples. He has some VERY minor pink scrapes on his face and hand and knee. I felt so bad. He was OK very quickly... it was not as bad as it sounds but I am going to hate to have to explain this one to the nursery tomorrow. It goes very nicely with the small slightly purple bump on his forhead that he got from bumping the ceramic tile on the floor when he was pulling up on something yesterday. I suppose it may be Dimples' first fall but I know it won't be his last. Ha, ha, ha...how punny!

4 comments:

  1. man, bagel bites for breakfast?! with chocolate chip cookies?!?!?!

    i'm on the next flight home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family makes me happy. Thank you for sharing these stories!
    Love you, friend!
    Twinkling,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the only "real" way to dispose of the egg sacks successfully is to light a match to them. However, we did kind of the same thing you did. We sprayed them with insecticide and then sealed them up in 2 garbage bags and took them to the dumpster. I know what you mean about killing bugs. I usually don't kill them, I catch them and set them free outside. But black widows, you just have to kill them. Sad but true. In Texas, we had this one INCREDIBLY HUGE, beautiful spider that weaved the most amazing web on the front of our house and we just let her do her thing. We knew she was about to have some babies. We even named her Charlotte and the girls and I would go out several times a day to watch her and see what she was up to. Then my mom came to visit and she didn't know we had an affection for this creature, and she knocked down the web and killed her. It was so sad. I cried. My mom thinks I'm such a nutt case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's kind of strange, but i tried to call you earlier this morning to no avail. so i am thinking that the best way to actually contact you is to leave a blog comment...

    after having been stranded by american airlines yesterday, the flight that i was rescheduled to this morning has been cancelled. so i am now flying thru chicago (i've always wanted to go to chicago) to orlando which pushes my arrival time in orlando back to 3:10pm.

    i love you.

    and oh yeah, texas aggie is tripping with her pet spider.

    ReplyDelete