Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oh the joys of the beginning of school!!!

There are soooo many fun things that you get to do with the beginning of the school year. I wondered if we would miss out on some of those because we home school. Not that it really matters because I think for OUR family, the benefits outweigh missing a few back to school rituals.

Things I love about the beginning of school:
  • New classroom decorations... The school teacher in me ad libs by posting Spunky's letter of the week and pictures of things that start with that letter, and the sign language sign for that letter. And of course each week's bible verse. I post these on our dining room window. Windows are great bulletin boards!

  • New school supplies: We got new school supplies and new supply boxes and I painted each child's name on them with puff paint. Then they decorated them with stickers. We also labeled every single item down to each crayon with the kids' names on them. The labeled supplies are to take to co-op.

  • The excitement of leaving the house to go to school the first time: We had our first day of home school co-op. it meets 2 Tuesdays a months. Everyone from Mommy on down gets to go. There are classes for everyone even the baby. The kids were so excited to go on our first day. Unfortunately, Dimples was sick but Daddy saved the day by working from home for the morning so we didn't have to miss our first day. Spunky was soooo excited that Mommy was one of her teachers. It was fun-filled day of learning for us all. Except for maybe for Dimples, who was so miserable he spent most of his time whimpering in Daddy's arms. Come to find out he has cut a new tooth. The doctor says new teeth don't cause runny noses but I am not soooo sure.

  • Little kids with new giant half empty backpacks. Dynamo's is camo and Lady's is pink and black and white. Spunky just carries a little insulated lunch box.

Last Sunday night, the night before we officially started back homeschooling for this 08-09 year, I was nervous and excited just like when I taught school and actually got paid for it.

Funny things about school so far...Spunky wants to do everything her older siblings are doing but always in her own way, of course. Dynamo loves doing school and is a meticulous colorer. Lady says she doesn't want to learn to read. Which is soooo funny because I am not sure what she thinks she is doing when she is reading her short vowel books to us. :)

1 comment:

  1. they are soo cute! hope it's a great year of learning!

    ReplyDelete