My problem is I haven't slept well with John up in Indiana. He has had a very busy and productive week. He has had at least 5 speaking engagements up there. He flew out Monday afternoon. Two of which were at a youth residential living facility...something like House of Hope here in O-town. He was asked not to give a gospel presentation but felt like his talks impacted the young people positively. Tonight, he reported that 5 students prayed to receive Christ at the event he spoke at despite some odd distractions that took place at the beginning of the event. PRAISE GOD!!! Certainly I can endure the lack of rest to hear news like that.
I had a very full week with MOPS on Tuesday, a play date on Wednesday, and a shopping day with my Mom today. It has helped the week go by quickly but has also been tiring. We pick John up from the airport tomorrow and I have a date planned for us tomorrow night. To the Ale House and Toys' R Us. Can't get anymore romantic than that? Ha, Ha!!! One of John's fav places to eat is the Ale House and fortunately there is one close to a Toys' R Us . E-man turns 5 on Sunday and I have NO idea what to get him for his b-day. I don't even have an idea for his party on Sunday. It is just my family attending. We aren't doing the kid party this year. Normally I least have a theme. Last year it was football. You should have seen my cake it was ssssoooo funny. I tried to cut a football shape out of a round cake. Didn't work quite like it does on Ace of Cakes!!! But you know what, Elijah loved it!! The year before that was the rice crispy dragon head...to go with the Knight theme we took from The Squire and the Scroll. It is the boys book that goes with The Princess and the Kiss. It was fun! We let the boys sleigh balloon "dragons" with swords and they made shields out of foam board. It was fun. AW!! It makes me miss the Phams. Elijah needs some boys to play with these days.
The future UCF Quarter back when he turned 4 ... GO LONG!!!!
Our little Knight at Age 3...isn't he cute?

Part of me wants to get him some sort of guitar. He really wants to learn to play the guitar. I am thinking it is too early to buy the real thing just yet. I am not ready for lessons and all that right now. I suppose I should pick up some ear plugs while I'm out if we go that route. We are going to Toys'R Us since I figure they will have the widest variety of toys available. I am praying there will be some divine inspiration. I mean 5 is kind of a big deal birthday. I feel like such a terrible mom. I am actually thinking we should just buy a cake. We have NEVER bought a birthday cake for the kids. I usually come up with some concoction with cake or cupcakes. We have had ladybugs, flowers with ladybugs, caterpillars, baseballs, basketballs, footballs, and a dragon. Granted they aren't as grand as that sounds but they are fun and the kids have always loved them. Maybe an ice cream cake from DQ this year, what do you think?
I remember when we had his baby-shower tea party. I can't believe that was 5 years ago!!! What about a family trip to Gatorland?
ReplyDeleteno purchased cakes! you are a creative mommy!!!
ReplyDeleteThis post really makes me miss the Evans family...
ReplyDeleteFor Christmas we picked up kid-sized guitars at Walmart. They are real guitars just smaller and cheaper. Then we got a computer program at Target called Music Made Easy - Guitar. The only pain is re-tuning the guitar if the kids un-tune it.
ReplyDeleteI don't purchase cakes either and you know what? I think homemade concoctions are WAY CUTER than purchased ones anyways. Okay, here's an idea I did 2 years ago: A campout theme. I pitched a tent in the living room. We went on a bug hunt. I made dirt cupcakes with the gummy worms coming out of them. We drank bug juice (green koolaid with plastic spiders floating in it), we designed bug habitats (before the bug hunt) and we all sat in the tent and told silly stories and sang songs with the flashlights. It was the best party. Lexi turned 3 that year and she STILL talks about that party. Last year I did "sundaes on Sunday" and had a marvelous spread of every topping imaginable and let everyone build their own sundae. We played pin the cherry on the sundae. It was at "Lexi and Ashton's ice cream parlor". Cary was the shop manager and I was the janitor! The kids thought building their own dream sundae was like the BEST THING EVER and I had a little ice cream quiz for the adults and gave out dairy queen gift cards for the winners of all my games. It was cute. There is a kids party website linked to my blog. check it out for ideas. They have the BEST ideas. Hope it's a fun day!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm all out of kids party ideas right now. We haven't done any in a while- hard to keep up. I agree with going home spun on the cake- cuter, cheaper, nad certainly more memorable! One thing I've found concerning my kids' parties: I would go all out trying to make it the cutest, most creative thing ever but I was so busy preparing for the party that I couldn't give the B-day child what they really wanted- TIME. We keep it simple now so that we can really enjoy the day together. Enjoy having your family over and enjoy his BIG 5 (I can't believe it!!!!) but make sure you don't wear yourself out in the process. Having a genuine smile on your face will be the best decorations ever :)
ReplyDelete