Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Officially Feeling Old!

OK...I turned 36 this past Friday. I've never had any issues with my age before considering that it is just a number. But this year it's different. It probably has to do with how I am feeling after baby#4. You know some of the normal baby blues. He is 3 and 1/2 months now and I am just starting to get back on track with sleep and everything. Forget about the baby weight. So as I was sharing with my lil' sister about my state of feeling down she said, "Just think about all the things you have done." So here goes...


  • 19 years of school...includes K-12, BA in Elementary Ed. and Masters in Ed. Tech.
  • 6 years of youth choir (it was big in Texas)
  • 3 years playing handbells
  • 11 years playing the piano...unfortunately I have to stop counting after college...not much playing since then.
  • 2 years of tap and ballet
  • 5 years twirling the baton
  • 2 years on a girls softball team
  • 13 years of teaching...4 teaching 2nd grade, 4 teaching computer in elementary, 4 teaching computer at a university, 1 year of homeschooling
  • 11 years married- several while he tried to figure out what he wanted to be when he grew up and then a few putting him through college and then 6 being a minister's wife
  • 3 1/2 years pregnant - 6 pregnancies...4 amazing children
  • 2 1/2 years of nursing...so far
  • 6 1/2 years of being a mom
  • 27 years of being a christian

So can I say I have crammed 100.5 years into my 36. :) Really it isn't about anything in the past. Most importantly, it is about the present; that today this moment I want it to be for His Glory, not mine. I am married to an amazing man of God and I have one child who is also my sister in Christ and a little boy who is very close to becoming my brother in Christ. I have 4 children that despite my craziness God can draw to Him. So whether I'm 36 or not...this is a pretty good place to be. So that one candle on my strawberry shortcake stands for ONE GREAT LIFE!!!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I think I might do the counting thing as well - it looks like a good perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good way of looking at it!!!! I follow behind you in May - AHHHH! Lance turns 40 this year and I just can't believe I'll be married to a 40 yr old....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you profess an adjunct, Gertrude?

    You've certainly come a long, long way, Kathryn but then we had high hopes for you. I was trying to remember how old you were when you left us behind? 15?


    What's yore papa up to?
    What's yore mama up to?
    What's Kim up to?
    What's Bubba up to?

    Write me at gfunderburk@fenwaygrp.com or just send me money.

    I'm closer to 70 than to 50 but I seem to remember that your papa was young. Was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated! It's amazing all that we have in common! My Master's is in gifted education though. Played piano for 10 years. Youth choir and handbells forever. Taught for 10 years. My hubs is still trying to decide what he wants to be when he grows up. And I'm a ministers wife too. oh but i have half the number of kids as you.

    Oh and we both have April birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat perspective, Kathryn. I learned a lot about you reading this :) You're pretty amazing!! Of course, I already knew that!

    ReplyDelete