Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My little talk at MOPS

I got the privilege to share some things God laid on my heart about how to have a Christian home. So I am posting them here as well. It was really neat how God worked out all the details for the morning. I wasn't supposed to speak I was just supposed to present the hands-on activity but God just told me I should type this stuff out and I took it with me. When I got to Mops and told Shelly who had planned what to do she said that the FAITH aspect of family was the one area she didn't have covered in her talk and now she knew why. It is fun when we listen to God and he puts things together for us.

MY NOTES FROM THE TALK:
A friend had this on her blog recently and I feel it is very applicable here….
For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks...
Matthew 12:34b.
(actually it was Heather- PROPS for Heather - she has an awesome blog)

I think in very much the same way as that from our hearts flows the environment of our home…It is so often the mother’s spirit that embodies the home. If we are depending on God or not…it will be reflected in our home. And I am not talking necessarily if our home is clean…our home may be cluttered and yes that could be a reflection of a heart not surrendered to God’s discipline or our house could be kept meticulously clean and that could be a sign that we have not surrendered to allowing God to have any control in our lives. It is more than the surface view of our homes. This year the theme for MOPs has been Dwelling. as we focus on a Christian home…I think as mothers we first have to look at who is dwelling IN us….who is reigning supreme…me, myself and I or God. I think we have to look at that first before we move into how to create a Christian home. Wherever we are in our walk with the Lord, we have to address what is overflowing from our hearts…in words and in actions.

The Bible tells us…

Galatians 5:22-26
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

If we are believers and there should be evidence of that. Others should see some of those fruits growing in our lives. If you are not a Christian and you want those fruits you can turn away from self and ask God in to help you.

So if the Spirit is in me how do I grow those fruits…living by and keeping in step with the spirit. Reading our Bibles. Praying. Connecting with other Christians.
Anyone having trouble spending time reading the Bible?…having Quiet time or doing devotionals. Resource...Books at Christian bookstores…the BIBLE all by itself …www.biblegateway.com…find The Message version of the Bible it can be very helpful

Websites I found for personal Christian growth…
Revive our Hearts – Radio show for women by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StCloudMOPS/www.reviveourhearts.com
Free Devotionals online
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/

With that in mind I wanted to focus on an activity to begin discussing the fruits of the spirit with our children.
from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StCloudMOPS/www.dltk-bible.com
The bible lesson I read today could be found at
http://www.dltk-bible.com/cv/fruits_of_the_spirit.htm

Other Ideas…
Create a graph and each person in the family earns stars when they are "shining like stars" working in whatever area you have chosen. Our family did encouraging words one week and we had about 100 boxes to fill. When the graph was full we went to Dairy Queen. I have to admit I think my row was the last one to get filled up. use the following verse

Philippians 2:12-15 ( I quoted the wrong book for this when someone asked today…oops)
12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. 14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe


2Timothy 3:14- 17
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work
.

Even discipline with the scriptures
Example how to deal with whining or negative words
Do everything without murmuring and disputing. Phil 2:14
We often use the reminder "Sweet words like honey" from Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.….GOD’s authority is much more important than mine!!!

Web sites that I have found helpful…

The Fruit of the Spirit story I read in MOPS can be found at
http://www.dltk-bible.com/cv/fruits_of_the_spirit.htm

Fruit of the Spirit handouts from MOPS were found at
http://akidsheart.com/holidays/days/fruitsp.htm

Bible Alphabet Pages
http://www.first-school.ws/theme/bible/coloring-pages/alphabet-zn.htm

Learning God’s Word- Bible Study Resources for kids
http://www.akidsheart.com/bible/bible.htm

Bible Gateway – search through different versions of the Bible
http://www.biblegateway.com/

Resources with a Biblical Focus
http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/christian_resources.html

http://www.dltk-kids.com/
Click on Bible Crafts

BOOKS I HAVE USED… When you use books to guide you MAKE SURE THEY ARE BIBLE BASED BOOKS…His truth not just our ideas!!!!

For Instruction in Righteousness – A Topical Reference Guide for Biblical Child Training - by Pam Forster. I found it at the Doorposts Website– Bible Based parenting tools. This is where I purchased it http://www.doorposts.net/

The 21 Rules of This House by Joshua Harris – I don’t remember where I bought this… sorry…maybe Amazon. I have the Original version from 1993. I don’t know anything about the one for preschoolers.

4 comments:

  1. GREAT! I would have loved to have been at your MOPS meeting to see this! Thanks for posting on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your talk. Also loved that you just threw it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great!!! I love the hands on fruits of the spirit stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking time to type this aall out for us!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete