Friday, October 31, 2008

What I want to be when I grow up!

We are reading "The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White and Sam, 11 year old boy in the story often ends his day by journaling and asking himself a question to answer while he tries to go to sleep. Today as we read Sam asked himself what he wanted to be when he grew up.

So my kids answered too.
Lady answered - A farmer, a cook and an artist. We decided she and her husband could live on a farm, she could be a great cook for her family and paint beautiful pictures of her life. (and she doesn't even read Ann Voscamp's blog...only Ann takes pictures instead of paints them- hee,hee!) I would be so excited for her to lead this life one day!

Dynamo said he wanted to be a player of all sports. A dream come true for his Daddy I'm sure. It would be exciting to see a Tim Tebow-like quality in our son. A homeschooled Strong Believer sharing his faith through his God-given physical abilities. I will pray this prayer for my son.

Spunky wants to be a princess, a friendly dragon and a candy shopper. She said that she wants to sell candy in her shop. I can see Spunky dressed in a princess outfit standing behind a candy counter one day. Not sure where the idea for a dragon came from. Which is totally funny because I read a whole chapter silently to myself last night in one of the books from the Chronicles of Narnia about a boy turning into a dragon.

Hubbie's dreams of what he wants to be are coming to fruition. Once upon a time before he knew the Lord and felt the call on his life he wanted his name to be up in lights...a famous actor. Now he travels and speaks God's truth into the lives of students and young people. God has recently given him the vision to do it on a larger scale. To be a part of something like the WinterJam tours...to create and speak at the event. It will be exciting to see how God develops this dream.

So what did I want to be? I don't remember having a specific job picked out as a kid. I know in college when I was taking elementary eduation classes I told all my professors I wasn't going to be a teacher but I was going to be a Children's director at a church. For some reason I thought I would have to go to seminary to find my husband and marry a minister. Too funny! I ended up not going to seminary, teaching 2nd grade and then computer and helping train teachers how to use technology in their teaching at a Christian elementary school. Then I said I wanted to be the next Deni Corbett. She was my boss and an amazing dreamer of new things. She sees the best in people and finds creative ways to make cool things happen. Pretty much I am married to one of those people. We probably don't need two in our family. I had written in my prayer journal that I wantd to walk alongside a man in ministry one day. I met John when he was a valet at a golf course with aspirations of becoming an actor. John didn't seem to fit that bill but I somehow knew he was the one for me. After I got my master's degree I got to be an adjunct professor for a while teaching a basic computer class with my alma mater, Palm Beach Atlantic University(Orlando site).
Now I am a wife to a youth evangelist, a homeschooling mom of 4 kids and a homemaker. So is this what I want to be...well, YES. But really it is not about what I am doing anymore. It is more about how I am doing it. As GOD's child...Am I doing it how I would like to be...not exactly. My goal now is to do it in such a way that my kids see the Victory that only God can give. To create a relationship with my husband that teenagers look at and say...I want to wait until God brings that special one along and give my self to him or her unselfishly.

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete