OK...I said I wasn't gonna blog. I made it 24 hours but I was online anyway to set up the online story for my kids. I have found this site http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/index.htm that has audio books. Layton has listened to 2 chapter books written 1913 by Laura Lee Hope. They are part of 2 different series...The Outdoor Girls in Florida and The Moving Picture Girls Under the Palms or Lost in the Wilds of Florida. These books inspired me to start the kids on some facts about Florida. I am hoping one day Layton will read them in the future when we do a Florida History unit and go visit St. Augustine. Even Elijah has listened to them. You can read each chapter before you allow your child to listen to it to make sure it is something you would allow them to hear.
Now we are moving to a chapter book: Curly and Floppy Twistytail is about the adventures of the two Twistytail pig brothers. Source: Howard R. Garis, Curly and Floppy Twistytail, the Funny Piggie Boys (New York: A. L. Burt Co., 1918)
I just thought some of you would enjoy having this resource at your finger tips. There are LOTS and LOTS of stories and poems to listen to on this site. We are using this at naptime for a quiet rest period for the older two kids while the youngers are resting AND so I can have a break. They really look forward to it. I found myself folding clothes in there with them during this time so I can listen to the stories too. It was lots of fun to go online and find pictures of cars in the early 1900's and talk about St. Augustine and real historical places there. Now we are going to take a trip into the world of make believe. See you when we get back!
We love St. Augustine. There are so many neat things to see and the kids are always entertained. I'm going to check those stories out and try to persuade my hubby that we need another trip up there :) Thanks!
ReplyDeleteso much for unplugged
ReplyDelete