Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas SHOPPING UGH!!!! no more!!!

I have to admit that I am a terrible gift giver. I offer to you that I am not sensitive...or thoughtful. It is always a struggle for me to come up with gift ideas. "Gifts" is definitely not my love language. And on top of that...I have never ever liked shopping even for myself...unless my mom or sister are there to actually pick out the items for me at Ross to try on and then I actually come out of the store with a multitude of coordinating outfits, shoes, and even jewelry. I think the last time this happened was pre-children during my teaching days when I would make a going back to school shopping trip every year. What fun! That was back in the day when I actually intentionally bought items that were dry clean only so I didn't have to launder them. Oh, how my life has changed. Since then I only go shopping on a "need" basis.

I am the type that goes into a store with exactly what I want to buy on a list and if they don't have it I move on until I find it. Basically I am a guy when it comes to shopping. It can make for a very frustrating shopping trip.

So this year with protruding belly, I was particularly dreading going shopping. I had already checked WalMart and the relatively inexpensive items that I wanted to purchase for my kids were not there. If the "St. Cloud mall" didn't have them I figured I was up a creek. But thank goodness for Amazon.com. Tonight I went online and got the exact toy...well almost exact items that my kids wanted...one for each of them. Elijah's exact item was a bit above my price range so I got something in the same genre. And the shipping is only going to be 7 dollars. Well worth it, I think. I don't have to get out and drive in Orlando Holiday traffic or bump into people or shelves with my big belly or go to the bathroom in every store we enter or waddle around aching while searching blindly for each item.

So now the kids have one toy and a pair of shoes (which they actually tried on but have been stored away for a few weeks in hopes that they will be excited to get them at Christmas.) A couple of years ago at a ladies event hosted by Joy Chambers, I was inspired by some of the Christmas ideas to get our kids three gifts each year. I mean baby Jesus only got 3...one from each wise man. Why in the world should they get more than the birthday boy. So that would be a fun one, a practical one and a spiritual one. So we have two out of three right now. I think I can make a stop at the Christian bookstore without too much trouble and finish them up. Woohoo!!!
Or maybe even John could do that. And I guess he can fill their stockings too. What is a trip to Dollar Tree?

Now I just have to come up with something totally awesome and cool for my amazing husband...any ideas? UGH!!!!

4 comments:

  1. kathryn, please don't be so tough on yourself. i, for one, really enjoy standing outside of the ladies room in each and every store we go in to and smiling awkwardly at the endless trail of females who go in after you and come back out before you.

    i think you are a GREAT shopper. after all, you landed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Rymer and I were just talking about the 3 gift thing this weekend. Yeah, great idea. Not gonna happen though! I have way too many wants AND needs this year! I'm an only child, need I say more?

    About halfway through your post I was going to suggest online shopping, but then I read that's what you ended up doing. I never shop online without first going to couponcabin.com or other coupon code websites (just google it) b/c they ALWAYS seem to have coupon codes for the stores I use. There are always coupons for amazon. I discovered one of my favorite kid sites b/c of a coupon code I found for free shipping last year...lillian vernon kids. AWESOME! I usually do about half of my shopping online and rarely pay shipping with the coupon codes. It's pure goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've discovered my shopping secret - I buy everything at Amazon.com! We also do 3 gifts for each little one. It makes our holidays much more meaningful (and shopping more challenging to get the "right" gifts!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. why don't you give john the gift of a son? you know he won't get a duplicate... unless...

    i'm with you on the shopping- i break out in hives just thinking about it

    ReplyDelete