1 John 4:15-16
Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him and he in God. So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him
1 Corinthians 9:19-23
Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law(though I myself am not under the law) so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
John 13:35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
Lately I have been challenged to think about why we have different types of Bible-believing, Gospel sharing churches or ways of relating the gospel to people. Some might say that we don't need to create an atmosphere to draw people in because the gospel is strong enough to draw people. Honestly, God is strong enough to draw whomever He pleases so in some ways I don't disagree with these people. A sunrise speaks of God's amazing creativity. A death and deep sorrow draws people to seek God and we definitely don't plan those. But I am also thrilled God has called us to join him in drawing people in to Him. Paul became "all things to all people to all men so that by all possible means I (he) might save some." So as long as a body of Christ followers in a church is willing to share the way, the truth and the life to a world who is desparately trying to find something to fill it's God-shaped void I say do it in whatever means possible to draw people in to love them into His hands.
I experienced something unusual this past week...well, unusual for this suburban white homemaking wife and mother...an urban Hip-hop service. As I listened to God's message through rap music, it hit me what the people on that stage were doing. They were taking God's word--His truth---and speaking it in the language of hip hop. A language I must admit I am not fluent in but one that speaks to others. I was hit with how this really isn't much different then when missionairies go to another country and learn the language of that people and they take God's truth to them in their own language. Some people might be more likely to hear more clearly in a small white wooden church with a white pointy steeple and others might be more receptive in one where the lights flicker and the music is loud. What difference does it make? God's truth will speak whether the word is wrapped in a 3 piece suit or a t-shirt and raggedy jeans. I believe God's word will overcome our faults and failures and our hang-ups and doctrines and draw people to Him. Praise God!!
This is so true - and spoken so well. Thanks for sharing! Glad to see you are blogging again!
ReplyDelete