Monday, November 5, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes

Today, while we were sitting at our favorite St. Cloud restaurant...Cool Blue Burrito...which we affectionately call CBB, John asked the kids, "Who is the cutest?" Normally Layton and Elijah say Cheney and Cheney says, "ME!!!!!!" Well today she pointed to me and said "Mommy!" Aww how sweet. At this stage in my pregnancy I am anything but cute unless I was a puppy maybe where pudgy or roly poly are not bad adjectives with which to be described. So I was feeling appreciated by my Chen-chen....

However within 5 minutes they were talking about how old everyone was and Layton asked Cheney how old mommy was and Cheney said, "Two." Elijah then quickly said, "No way she can't be 2, she is 150 years old." GEE Thanks, Elijah!!! I suppose we need some more work with numbers...he's only 4 and a half.

But what made me feel the best the other day was walking through Wal-mart and Layton says, "Mom, that says hot. " I said, " Yes, sweetie. You are reading that sign. Read the next word." She then with much enthusiasm sounded out "d-o-g. It says HOT DOG!" She was so excited. We have been working on reading and she can sound out any of the short vowel words with ease. So she has many words that she can read. But she only wants to read during reading time and I think this time at Wal-Mart was one of the first times she realized she could just look around at words and read them. It was so cool to see the light come on in her head as it dawned on her. I have been telling her that she can read lots of things but I am finding she is more like her mom than I like to admit. I remember not taking my mom's word for things until I figured them out myself or someone else told me. But it was really cool to see her get so excited about something that I have taught her to do. What a sweet reward for teaching her at home. Now we just have to make it through determining when it is a long vowel sound or short vowel sound and then there are all those rule breakers. MAN, I never remembered the English language being so difficult. It is a wonder anyone figures out how to read. lol

3 comments:

  1. well honey, if it's any encouragement to you, you're not a "young lady" just yet. of course you'll probably need to write another blog to explain what that statement means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Evans family! I saw your bloggity link on Jessica Pham's links. Just popped in to say "howdy"!

    Heather Cubitt

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can remember those light bulb moments with my readers, too. words just can't describe the feeling!

    i think you're cute, too, even if you are 150 years old :) you look good for your age, by the way!

    ReplyDelete