Ok...today we were tired of reading and math worksheets so the kids started the day out by swinging outside while still wearing their pj's. I am sure anyone driving by might have thought, "Aww, those poor little homeschooled kids." But when they came in we juiced oranges and made fresh veggie soup. And through it all we completed some science, social studies, Bible, math and phonics. We counted the oranges by 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's. We cut them all in half...so Layton and I reviewed her phonics rule about when making a word that ends in f plural you have to change the f to a v and add -es. She also figured out that since we had 20 oranges and we cut them all into halves, we had 40 peices of oranges. She quickly said 20, 40. Woohoo!
We talked about the parts of an orange- a seed is called a pip, the white stuff in there is called the pith and there is also pulp in the juice when you juice it. An orange is covered in peeling. I also discovered and orange is considered a berry. I didn't find out exactly why but I did think it interesting. I just made a worksheet for her to do tomorrow which will include fill-in-the-blanks using various facts we learned and will also include changing 5 singular (orange) words into their plural form and putting the parts of the orange into ABC order. The 4 we talked about all start with p so she has to look at the 2nd and 3rd letter in some of them. We threw in a little social studies by talking about how oranges are an important crop to Florida and the orange blossom is the state flower. We talked about how we can use the orange: fragrance, orange oil- a cleaner, vitamin C, juice, and eating it of course. Did you know that gardeners can use orange peeling to help keep slugs away? Layton does. We even threw a little Bible in there. We took 4 oranges and I poked holes in them in the designs requested by the kids and then they poked cloves in them. Smells so good in my dining room...oh, yeah, Bible...2 Corinthians 2:15 "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." Being of His aroma means we act like Him, love like Him, recognized as Christians as easily as an orange is recognized by its fragrance.
Layton then chopped all the veggies I needed for my Weight Watchers Cabbage soup recipe. While she did this, we discussed fractions- wholes, halves, fourths, eighths and how 1/2 = 2/4= 4/8. The equal fractions thing was a little over her head but she was introduced to it.
So every now and then I really enjoy "a fly by the seat of my pants and think of it as we go" kind of day. And I sure do love the internet...facts about oranges in an instant.
We talked about the parts of an orange- a seed is called a pip, the white stuff in there is called the pith and there is also pulp in the juice when you juice it. An orange is covered in peeling. I also discovered and orange is considered a berry. I didn't find out exactly why but I did think it interesting. I just made a worksheet for her to do tomorrow which will include fill-in-the-blanks using various facts we learned and will also include changing 5 singular (orange) words into their plural form and putting the parts of the orange into ABC order. The 4 we talked about all start with p so she has to look at the 2nd and 3rd letter in some of them. We threw in a little social studies by talking about how oranges are an important crop to Florida and the orange blossom is the state flower. We talked about how we can use the orange: fragrance, orange oil- a cleaner, vitamin C, juice, and eating it of course. Did you know that gardeners can use orange peeling to help keep slugs away? Layton does. We even threw a little Bible in there. We took 4 oranges and I poked holes in them in the designs requested by the kids and then they poked cloves in them. Smells so good in my dining room...oh, yeah, Bible...2 Corinthians 2:15 "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." Being of His aroma means we act like Him, love like Him, recognized as Christians as easily as an orange is recognized by its fragrance.
Layton then chopped all the veggies I needed for my Weight Watchers Cabbage soup recipe. While she did this, we discussed fractions- wholes, halves, fourths, eighths and how 1/2 = 2/4= 4/8. The equal fractions thing was a little over her head but she was introduced to it.
So every now and then I really enjoy "a fly by the seat of my pants and think of it as we go" kind of day. And I sure do love the internet...facts about oranges in an instant.
No comments:
Post a Comment