
Happy St. Patrick's Day, little people!!!
OK...I didn't do any school work last week...was a coping mechanism...dealing with John out of town. Just needed to focus on feeding, bathing, playing, stuff like that. Well, St. Paddy's day totally caught me by surprise. Since yesterday I didn't even know what date it was...other than the day that HGTV was giving away a home in the Keys.
But...I totally enjoy the rush of flying by the seat of my pants so with a bottle of green food coloring and the Internet, my kids are having a pretty fun and educational St. Patrick's.
For lunch, we had green bowtie pasta (added food coloring to the boiling water, green alfredo (again added food coloring to the jar of alfredo), green beans, Bisquick biscuits with green food coloring swirled through cut out with cross cookie cutters, fruit salad with the token green kiwi and green lemonade(yes, the food coloring strikes again). OK...next year I am going to buy green spinach pasta and maybe puree some green veggie into the sauce.
It hits me as sooooo funny how our world takes anything religious and changes it into some goofy character. Not that those characters can't be fun but come on here...Jesus' birthday becomes Santa Claus, Jesus' death becomes the Easter Bunny and a missionary who took Christianity to Ireland turns into leprechauns and shamrocks. And the shamrocks' three leaves originally represented the Trinity.
Reviewed my St. Patrick's Day facts with http://www.enchantedlearning.com/ by printing out a book I am going to read to the kids and have them color. Also from that site, I printed out a coloring page with all things green on it. Then printed out a handwriting page from http://www.first-school.ws/t/alphabet/holidays/stpatricksday-az-zb-c.html.
So after nap, we are going to color, read and learn about a teenager who was captured and taken to Ireland. He was forced to work as a shepherd but escaped after 6 years. After becoming a priest, he returned to the country that had captured him and shared Christianity with people worshipped nature.
Fits right in with our morning and the verse we read off of "The Blessing Chart" after Layton kicked Elijah and then Elijah hit her in the face with the broom handle...Proverbs 25:21-22 "If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; for so you will heap coals of fire on his head and the Lord will reward you." What's better than leading your enemy to Christ. I couldn't have planned it any better. Thanks GOD!!!
Oh...I need to thank Kitty for the encouragement to find wells where I didn't dig any. God is so faithful to provide if we will only look to Him!!!
Oh...and with the luck of the Irish...yea right! ALL 4 of my kids are asleep at the same time for nap. CRAZY MIRACLE. Wells are overflowing!!
OK...last thing...when writing "Jesus' death" should it be "Jesus's" I taught that rule in second grade but now can't remember it. Gotta look it up somewhere.
wow - I'm impressed! cute idea
ReplyDeleteGirl, you are on the ball! Thanks for the "shout out :)"
ReplyDeleteThe kids and I were saying the same thing about holidays. Thanksgiving seems to be the only one that hasn't been tainted. It's my favorite!
Loved all the ideas and I hope they went great! What a blessing you are!
P.S. I think it's Jesus' :)
Very cute!!!! I made green eggs and ham for Lexi's class for St Patty's day and took the book for them to read.
ReplyDeleteI think it's Jesus's death, b/c it's a singular possessive ending in S. If it were a plural possessive ending in s it would be Jesus' death. But he's not plural. Okay, that's your grammar lesson for the day. That will be $20 bucks!!!